Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Thanks, dad . . .


I was with my 87-year-old father when he died last week. I had lots of time to reflect on his life and mine and how he influenced me.

My dad could make, build, fix, or do anything. I never saw him fail. From him, I learned the importance of belonging to the union, which I have done every year of my professional life. He once was on strike for a whole year, but in the end, he won numerous rights and benefits for his fellow rivermen.

My dad went to a one-room school, Kickapoo Creek School, in rural Marseilles, Illinois. He was the only kid in his 8th grade graduating class because his two classmates flunked. Those are all the boys in the school above, and my dad is the sixth from the right, the one with the hair sticking up and no hat.

He never had the chance to go to college because he was orphaned at thirteen and forced to go to work right out of high school, even though he had "a stack of letters this high" from colleges who wanted him to play football. He landed a good job on the river and worked his way up to become a master pilot of a towboat, earning the title "Captain." In our family, it was a foregone conclusion that we would go to college, and dad paid for it. He was proud of my brother's and my careers in education and of our advanced degrees. And he felt the same way about his granddaughters' educations.

My dad taught me to read, put me through college, and supported and encouraged me in everything I did. He empowered me and made me the person I am today.

My dad's last words to me were about my upcoming retirement. He said, "You're doing the right thing. You're doing the right thing. Retire as early as you can." He should know--he retired at age fifty-six and enjoyed thirty-one years of retirement! That's what I want to do.

Thanks, dad, for everything. We love you and miss you.


12 comments:

  1. What a lovely tribute. It is obvious that your father lives on through you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maryellen, it was nice that you could be there with your father when he left this world. He sounds like a strong man and I can hear in your post that he was proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maryellen, This is a beautiful tribute to your father. Thanks for sharing. Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this with me. What a wonderful photos and wonderful life. You are very lucky to have a father like him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely tribute to your Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful life you've celebrated in word and in your life! You Dad sounds like one of the Special Ones, encouraging to the end :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi MEP. You did a beautiful job with this tribute to your dad. C

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great eulogy about a wonderful Dad. He is right about retiring, so enjoy every minute. You made me cry because it sounded like my Dad who never finished high school because his income, any income, was needed by the family during the depression. All three of us graduated, and two of us got masters. He knew, just like your Dad that education could give us security that he never had. Scott remembers meeting him and have such fun talking to him – it must have been at your wedding. My sympathy to you, but what great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was really very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful, beautiful tribute I wish your Dad could read, but somehow I think he knew all this! I am impressed at how you already have the presence to be able to write this. You are healing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I should have read this at home, because now I’m crying. That was really great, Maryellen. He sounds like he was the best Dad ever.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was really sweet. I love the picture of the 4 of you. He surely looked great for 87 years. What a great man!

    ReplyDelete